Lover of lives and passionate about production and deep sound in all its aspects, David Labeij tells some anecdotes of his career. Junkie XL one of his mentors, his faithful partner Lauhaus and Novotek RAW SERIES his new ally.
1. Your career as dj began in 1998 when minimal was an emerging style in Europe, you where one of the pioneers in promoting the gender clicks and cuts in Netherlands as promoter of ” Berlin Underground” working with artists like Richie Hawtin, Villalobos, Magda… What can you tell us about this period?
It was an amazing time for me, because I finally found the style of house music that rocked my world so to speak. I visited Berlin a lot in those days, because in Amsterdam nobody was playing that sound. In Berlin i could finally dance and go crazy to the sounds of my early heroes, like, Zip, Sammy D, Dirk Diggler, Dub Taylor, Melchior, Babyford, Ricardo etc etc. And then back home slowly more and more people were getting into that music, so I finally got the opportunity to start playing here and there in Amsterdam. Good times.. 🙂
2. In 2003 you take your first steps as a producer and you have the great opportunity to start growing as a professional with Junkie XL, for whom you edit mushroom remix 2007. What did that release supposed for your career?
Well the remix itself didn’t do so much for my career, but beeing in Junkie’s studio did a lot for me. He was going back and forth to LA already alot and his Studio engineer was in the studio with me and tought me how to work with Cubase. It was a great learnig experience for me.
3. In 2004 you begin to work with lauhaus in studio, but it’s not until 2006 that your first release appears for Intacto Records, what can you tell us about the project you share with Lauhaus?
Lauhaus and me clicked immediately in the studio. From day one we became good friends and working together is easy and inspiring. All the big first steps in my career i shared with lauhaus.
My first big shows, my first releases, first time playing abroad. for 3 years we worked really close together on the project, but for the last two years we’ve been focusing more on our solo careers. We share a Studio together and we are best friends and we going to do a couple of shows again soon. So hopefully we can put out some new polder tunes in the near future aswel.
4. You started in Amsterdam. Do you see the electronic music scene in your home town? What do you think of evolution in electronic music since your beginnings? What about internationally?
It’s totally different. everything changes as always and i think that is how it’s supposed to be . I like the whole new disco 80ties vibe thats been going on lately, i was born in 1978 so…
5. Your career started with minimal techno. Your solo’s productions have evolved between house and techno hypnotic, deep and delicate. With which of the 2 styles you feel most comfortable?
I most comfortable with making melodic deep tunes!
6. Crazy love it’s your latest release with Mobilee Records. An EP with deep house influences that we really like. What would you highlight about it?
It was my first experience working with a vocalist named Belle. it was really cool and new for me to do that and that it resulted in a release on Mobile was the icing on the cake!!
7. Where would you say you feel more comfortable mixing or producing?
Producing!! but i looove mixing and playing live with ableton aswel!!
8. RAW SERIES, new Novo Music’s record label. If we say RAW SERIES, you say:
Many thanks David.